This time I decided to ‘go it alone’ – no pattern, just a photograph of a bag which I saw at a show and the fabrics to make it. Actually making the bag wasn’t too difficult but one of the hardest things was getting the proportions right – once I had done that (admittedly by trial and error) I was very
happy with the result. The original bag which I had photographed had reverse appliqué ‘blobs’ but as I had never done any reverse appliqué I ‘bottled’ and stuck with the ‘normal’ appliqué technique which I am familiar with. Having made the shopper I decided to use the remaining fabrics for a handbag (using the drawstring pattern for bag no 4).
The leather handles make these bags and being so pleased with them I have learned not to scrimp on trimmings if I want a good end result.