Not quite a day or so but over the weekend I did make progress with and managed to complete the Twisted Roses Bag!
First of all the addition of strips of fabric across and down to cover and bind the raw edges of the individual rose squares (above). I decided to machine stitch these because the numerous layers of fabric were so thick that I would have had to use a thimble for every stitch and I don’t really like having to use one – especially for that amount of work. I decided to go with the uneven finish as I don’t think it detracts from this particular design.
Then turned inside out binding the side seams and bottom corners (above and below) using strips of lining fabric.
Almost there, this is the bag before the top has been bound and handles added.
The pattern called for plaited handles using a combination of the fabrics from the outside of the bag. These were machine sewn into place on to the outside of the bag and to hide the raw edges of the handles each one was covered with two appliqué leaves which were stuffed with the same wadding as the bag (Hobbs) and stitched with stem and vein lines (pinned on to the bag above) then hand stitched in place.
ET VOILA! The finished result – perfect for a summer wedding – I am so very happy 🙂