The other pattern I’ve bought is for knitting, a little summer cardigan in some lovely wool, I’m going to try this out with some wool from the stash first while I decide which colour mix to get.
Vist Sirdar Summer Stripes on their website to look at the options and you will see why it is so hard to decide. They are all so yummy!
Sunny days can certainly inspire you to get creative.
I’ve bought two new patterns, the first one is a sewing pattern for another waistcoat which looks like it could be infinitely adaptable, McCalls 5887
I fancy making these in a variety of fabrics – really quite excited because they only take a metre or so of fabric so the possibilities are endless.
With spring definitely here, despite a return of cold weather, I’ve started thinking about making some new summer dresses and bought two patterns and some fabric to start me off.
I wanted something to remind me of the dresses I wore for my honeymoon (how soft am I!) because they were so cool and comfortable and these two patterns fit the bill.
Firstly Simplicity 5189
and secondly Simplicity 2888
I’ve bought the fabrics and already made the first one, which is loose and comfortable if we do get any hot days, (apologies for the awful photo) in a really soft polyester viscose:
The second will be a bit more tricky as I have to alter the bust to fit me so that the under-bust band actually goes where it should and not half way up my boobs – one of the disadvantages of being out of proportion and well endowed!
This is the fabric though, it’s a fairly stiff cotton satin (I think) and I reckon it will be well worth making the effort to get the fit right.
Another project waiting in the large ‘to-do’ pile is the Tulip Bag from Monkey Buttons. I am planning to make the version with squares (made in black & grey on the pattern) using one or more of my lime green(ish) batiks and a plain brown cotton for the main colour which I have yet to buy.
I want to make this before summer to go with a lovely lime green frilled Rocha, John Rocha shrug which I recently bought from Debenhams and which I plan to work part of my summer wardrobe around. The shrug looks a bit pale in this picture but it is a really warm shade of lime, not too bright, which is set off really well against a dark chocolate brown. It is a shame that digital cameras often don’t show true colours as these are much closer in shade than they appear to be here.
This is a bag kit, waiting to be made, which my Mum kindly bought me for Christmas when we were at the Knitting and Stitching show in Harrogate last NovemberThe kit, from Euro Japan Links is comprised of a number of Japanese cotton strips for the outer bag and straps and a large piece for the lining. I am really looking forward to making this as the design is really simple and the Japanese fabrics so lovely.
Gaining confidence I decided that I would get a pattern and this time chose and buy the fabrics separately. The pattern, Serengeti, bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate, was from one of my favourite bag designers, Monkey Buttons and having a colour palette in mind I wandered from stall to stall to collect fat quarters to make this bag.
This time the bag was quilted using Hobbs Heirloom fusible cotton wadding. This proved to be much easier to use than the interfacing which was provided for the Pennypot bag (I would definitely recommend using Hobbs for this kind of project – stockists can be found through a Google search). Hobbs is iron-on fusible on both sides and it can also be lifted and re-stuck if necessary (for example when turning a lining through after attaching to the outer part of a bag.)
I was even happier with this one!